Adbox 1

Friday, 7 April 2017

What We're Watching/Playing 7/4/17


What We're Watching/Playing
7/4/17


It's been a while since we did one of these, so to celebrate Blogger going down and Google literally not noticing for three hours, let's have another What We're Watching.


Marvel's Agents of Shield.

So, the third arc of the fourth series has just started, and while it's good, it's also honestly a little confusing. The Framework is meant to be a utopia where everyone's mistakes are overwritten, and we're somehow meant to believe this would lead to the world being controlled by Hydra -- which I would just about be able to buy, except this isn't a straight cause-and-effect style simulation: It's being controlled by Ada, who has even insinuated herself into the Framework as the director of Hydra.

But -- why? Ada has no ties to or interest in Hydra, and does have a vested interest in making the simulation pleasant for everyone within it. It'd make more sense for her to be deliberately altering it to be the utopia everybody involved wants it to be.

Still, this arc does give us evil Fitz, and it is, at least, shaping up to be pretty interesting, so I'll live with a little bit of plot incoherence.


Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Andromeda is not doing a good job of keeping my interest. I thought it was just that I was too busy to muster any energy for a game, but then I played Persona 5 and was instantly hooked, so no, no, it is just because Andromeda has failed to hook me in.

A lot of people would put that down to it being a buggy, weirdly animated game with a lot of 'activate three things' missions, but I actually think it's squarely due to a combination of three things.

Firstly, the vast and mostly empty open worlds, that make getting between missions a study in driving through awkward, boring environs. Secondly, the lack of a strong villain: The Kett just aren't that compelling at the point I'm at, and it doesn't feel like the Archon presents much of a threat, whereas the Geth and Saren were established as being threatening in the prologue mission, and the Collectors in the opening cutscene of all things. Thirdly, the lack of focus: I don't feel like I know what I'm doing or where I'm going, or why I'm doing it. Things just seem to happen, with no weight behind them.

Either way, I'm not keen yet, but it's early days, I still have time to get into it.


Dreamworks' Dragons.

Dreamworks' Dragons, returning for its sixth series, has also failed to hook me, although in this case it probably is just because I'm snowed under with work.

I do traditionally really enjoy Dragons, even if I'm also often quite frustrated by the extremely episodic structure, but I find myself struggling to really get a good handle on this series. I'm only a few episodes in, but they've all been pretty lackluster so far, lacking any of the zest that the series usually has.

The closest thing to a really good episode so far has been one revolving around Tuffnut, Ruffnut, and their cousin, Gruffnut, and even then, it's something you can pretty easily skip.


Persona 5.

Oh my god, you guys, I barely had time to start Persona 5, but having completed the mini-dungeon (the castle, or at least your first run through the castle with Joker, Ryuji, and Morgana), I'm kind of hooked.

The game is gorgeous, and it just oozes style, and combined with a really slick, easy to use, but as-complex-as-any-other-Persona-game battle system, this is shaping up to be a really amazing game.

Incidentally, though, Carrie Keranen is in his game. She was also in Danganronpa 2, Tales of Zestiria, and Trails of Cold Steel, meaning that I've played four games in a row with her in. When will I be free of her voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment