Adbox 1

Thursday, 13 October 2016

NYCC and TGS Trailer Round-up.


NYCC and TGS Trailer
Round-up.

Hey, guys, guess who has two hands and completely forgot to do any kind of trailer round-up for Tokyo Game Show, largely because it usually slips under my radar and not a gigantic amount tends to be announced at it? That's right, me! No surprise there, I suppose.

But New York Comic Con also finished recently, so I now have the chance to roll my trailer round-ups into one extra long one and talk about the trailers I found interesting at both shows/conventions/expos/what have you.

Lucky, lucky me. Especially since NYCC didn't actually have a lot worth talking about this year, bar vaguely horrifying jingoism vehicle The Man In The High Castle, which I'm not going to talk about on account of not wanting to talk about it.


Marvel's Defenders & Iron Fist.



Okay, I can tell that watching Iron Fist is going to be difficult. I kind of have to if I want to review it (one day soon I'm going to need to sit down and finish off Luke Cage), but it'll be slow going, because frankly it's going to be difficult not to burst out laughing when characters breathily whisper about Danny Rand being the greatest martial artist in history, only for it to cut to a man who, quite frankly, looks like a down-on-his-luck accountant.

As far as the Defenders go, we didn't really see a lot of them, but that should be fun? I liked Jessica Jones a lot, and I've enjoyed what I've seen of Luke Cage so far (even if it is slow going, somewhat), and while I wasn't keen on the first series of Daredevil, I did at least enjoy the second one well enough. Seeing them together should be fun, and we apparently have Scott Glenn back as Stick, which is always fun.


Legion.



So, the next one up in the never-ending stream of superhero adaptations is apparently one that ties into the X-Men franchise, focusing on David Haller, the mutant son of Charles Xavier, who has multiple personalities (on account of absorbing the minds of people who die near him), all of whom have different mutant powers.

The trailer certainly looked interesting, albeit perhaps not my particular cup of tea. Critics are already comparing it to FX's crime drama Fargo, which is a comparison that's totally lost on me, so let's move on.


Class.



Class is a rather oddly named Doctor Who adventure in the vein of Torchwood and The Sarah-Jane Adventures, which makes some sense, given that both of those spin-offs have been over for a while now. It revolves around Sixth Formers at Coal Hill Secondary School, a school that has shown up quite a lot of times in Doctor Who's history, most recently as Clara Oswald's workplace.

While I'm always a bit leery of Doctor Who spin-offs, since they tend to be pretty hit and miss, this does, at least, look fun, and I could immediately identify from watching the trailer exactly who my favourite characters were going to be, which is always a nice thing to say.

There's not much hint on what the plot is, but it seems to be basically the same plot as The Sarah-Jane Adventures: Aliens appear, a bunch of kids (including one who isn't human) and one older mentor character sort them out.


Final Fantasy XV.



I am disgusted at how excited I am for Final Fantasy XV, although in fairness, it had apparently had so little done on it under Tetsuya Nomura (to the point where Tabata could handily change large chunks of the story, and the team hadn't even done all of the initial photographs for modeling environments yet) that nobody could rightly call it a Nomura game. It's a Hajime Tabata game, through and through, and while none of his games have ever been among my favourites, I've always at least sort of liked them.

The trailer does a good job of hyping the game up and focuses, as it really should, on the game's vast, epic storyline and interesting aesthetic. Never let it be said that the team behind Final Fantasy XV aren't keenly aware of the kind of market they're trying to appeal to, and the best way to appeal to them, and the four minute plus trailer (which included a grand total of maybe thirty seconds gameplay, so make of that what you will) was arguably the highlight of this year's Tokyo Game Show.


Watch Dogs 2.

Who's ready for another go on the Disappointment Train?

I'm not. I won't be playing this game. This gets a spot on this list purely because I am astounded at Ubisoft's audacity: Watch Dogs was widely and rightly panned as being a terrible game, a game with aspirations of being utterly generic that failed to live up to even that low standard. 

For them to unveil a sequel, complete with silent, implicit hand waving and 'ta-daaaaa' noises astonishes me when, frankly, if I were Ubisoft, I would be hoping people forgot that Watch Dogs had ever existed -- or at the very least, hoping it would be confused in their heads with the much better Sleeping Dogs, which I admit has happened to me once or twice.


NieR: Automata. 



I'd actually never heard of NieR prior to this game, but apparently it's a spin-off of the Drakengard series (which I'm only distantly aware of), and a series of action RPG games in which you play various iterations of a dude named NieR as he tries to find a cure for a disease in a post-apocalyptic science fantasy-ish world.

The trailer tells us almost nothing about the game, but is very striking nonetheless, with an almost Serial Experiments Lain-esque aesthetic and tone.

No comments:

Post a Comment