Adbox 1

Thursday, 14 January 2016

Editorial: The 5 Most Popular Fission Mailure Posts.


Editorial: The 5 Most Popular
Fission Mailure Posts.

The last of the Fission Mailure Awards, and less of an award as it is a day's self-indulgence, here, on just about this blog's two year anniversary, are the five blog posts that have been most popular. We're counting by page views, here, even though some of those views may well have come from people incalculably angry with said posts, which is pretty much the antithesis of popularity.

Also, while I'm being self-indulgent, go check out my here Let's Play channel. It's been up for about half a year now, and there's definitely been a lot of learning experiences involved in that time. Take a look at some of the videos, and if you enjoy them, consider subscribing. I'd like to reach fifty subscribers (a small amount, but kind of the first major milestone) by the end of March, if possible. That'd be nice.

Anyway, five most popular posts, go:



One of my favourite reviews to write, if not least because it involved watching the gorgeously pretty (if flawed in many other respects) Legend of Sanctuary, I do somewhat regret that I couldn't, in good faith, give this film a more favourable review. 

I've rewatched it several times since my review, and while my opinion on it has never really changed - it's still a terribly paced, poorly thought out story - it remains something I massively enjoyed watching, if only for the visual spectacle of it all.

Apparently, the review, at least, is popular with fans, although that may be broadly because Saint Seiya fans are a small but fiercely dedicated group who will devour anything related to the franchise with gleeful aplomb.



Probably the most recent post on this list, and one of a string of comics-related editorials that I was putting out at the time, this editorial, published about halfway through last October, was a bit of an oddity for this blog. 

Most of my editorials are opinion pieces, because this is a review blog and opinions are basically what we peddle in, and because part of the point of editorials is that they're less dense, easier to read, and quicker to write than reviews, which works better with lolzy opinion stuff than anything else.

This was more of a fact-y history piece, looking at characters at their conception who had gradually (or very rapidly) been changed to fit the changing demands of audiences, editors, and writers. I could probably very easily do another editorial on the same theme, and probably will at some point in the next few months.



This is probably the most confusing one on the list for me? I gave Honoo no Kokuin a pretty lukewarm, middle-of-the-road review, and I imagine that I didn't deviate much from the general consensus in that regard.

Ultimately, I think the reason this might have so many views is because it shows up in Google Image searches. So, I mean, that's a thing. I guess.

Let's move on.



This is not the masterpost I would've picked myself, to be honest, but I suppose it benefits from being an ongoing of a very popular series that had just seen a surge in viewership courtesy of a new Doctor played by a beloved actor.

Doctor Who reviews are often a slightly unpleasant, somewhat painful process for me, because Doctor Who is a show from my childhood and an important part of the UK's entertainment culture, and Steven Moffat is driving it into the ground. 

At this point, this is practically his MO as a writer: Take important pieces of British entertainment and turn them into his own slightly pathetic vanity projects. He did it with Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, he did it with Sherlock Holmes, and he did it with Doctor Who.

People apparently enjoyed - or were, at least, morbidly interested in - my crushing sense of despair at series thirty-four, which is how the masterpost being my second most viewed (proper) post.



It should surprise nobody that this is at the top of the list. I've never had a more viewed post, and I probably never will. To put things in perspective, the Doctor Who S34 Masterpost currently has 581 pageviews, while this editorial has just short of 12000. 

Out of everything I've ever written, apart from that one Man of Steel review that seemingly got people really het up, this editorial has garnered more extreme reactions - both positive and negative - than anything else I've written. 

And, you know, I stand by it. I've needed to edit some things for reasons of factual accuracy - after writing, it was announced that Honey Lemon is hispanic, which required a note at the very least - but the main thrust of the editorial remains true: Whitewashing Fred, a character from an indigenous peoples that have suffered extreme oppression and genocide, into a white dude is totally inexcusable. The borderline obsessive attempts to Americanise the whole affair are cringeworthy. The source material is deeply flawed and has some severely racist undertones to it.

Possibly my favourite part of the responses is the comment that went "YOU'RE JUST RACIST AGAINST WHITE PEOPLE AND YOU CAN'T STAND SEEING THEM IN ANYTHING," which was just glorious. And also quite irritating.

No comments:

Post a Comment